Can’t Hardly Wait
(Arena suprema with Jon Bon and “Livin’ on a Prayer”)
If we asked you what happened in these few seconds of superanthem, you’d likely say, “chord change.” You would be correct. And if that’s all they did, it would be just like the dozens of other pop songs that use that classic trick to squeeze a few more drops of energy out of a chorus.
But did you hear the other thing? They’re SO EXCITED to play this song, and to KICK IT OUT, that they just skip a fucking beat. The last measure before the chord change only has three beats. And in doing that, they’re shouting LET’S GO, PEOPLE, GET ON WITH IT, LET’S LIVE HARD.
So here’s JBJ’s (and our) advice to you: if you’re excited about something, sometimes it’s OK to skip a beat. Don’t wait for dessert to arrive before you propose to her. Get in the hot tub with your pants on. Retire at 54. Submit the short story before you get your MFA. Hit the streets of Madrid before you’ve read the guidebook. Tell your best joke first.
*wipes a tear from his eye*
- reyner reblogged this from songparts
- supervenes reblogged this from songparts
- capnmariam likes this
- adamschoales reblogged this from songparts and added:
- donschaffner likes this
- killmoms reblogged this from songparts and added:
- egyptianpyramids likes this
- johnmikael likes this
- lonelysandwich likes this
- analogkid likes this
- scott-jackson likes this
- elbeavers reblogged this from songparts and added:
- ampersandean likes this
- steelopus likes this
- bajema reblogged this from songparts and added:
- timothyrosenberg likes this
- atsween likes this
- songparts posted this